Chinese and Indian Millennials Believe Government and Businesses are
Key Forces in Addressing Climate Change
MSLGROUP Calls For a New Era of Sustainable Business
Mumbai, 20 November 2015; The future of business and the future of sustainability are the two sides of the same coin, according to MSLGROUP’s latest People’s Insights report, A Chance for Change: The Tipping Point for Sustainable Business.
Two weeks before world leaders convene at the United Nations climate change conference (COP21) in Paris, to negotiate an agreement on climate, MSLGROUP has spotlighted the voices of global leaders, Millennial change-makers and sustainability experts who are leading the momentum towards sustainable development and sustainable business.
The report highlights key takeaways, through a series of expert-written opinion pieces.
- Led by Millennials, people are demanding businesses take meaningful actions to address climate change. MSLGROUP’s global community of 250 Millennials* at BeTheChance.com, of which 90 of them are Millennials from China and India, share that they are frustrated, worried, and want immediate climate action. Similar to their global peers, both Chinese and Indian Millennials want to hear about greener products and expect businesses to collaborate with governments to address climate change. Interestingly, Chinese and Indian Millennials are different in one key way: Indian Millennials believe that the change starts with them personally, while Chinese millennials believe the change starts with the government.
- With new global goals announced by the United Nations, business is expected to play a bigger role in sustainable development. Experts from the UN and Salterbaxter MSLGROUP view the seventeen new Sustainable Development Goals as an opportunity for business growth and global impact. Business will play an essential role in implementing the goals, especially as it relates to partnerships, innovation and investment.
- Savvy businesses have already pivoted, raising the bar for others to transform and embrace disruption, innovation and new business models. MSLGROUP trend-watchers share examples of businesses that are already maximizing resources, creating positive handprints, collaborating across boundaries, changing people’s behavior and switching to clean energy. There is a race to the top that is widening the gap between businesses that already focus on sustainability and those that do not.
- Climate change and sustainability are complex topics – businesses must make these easier to digest to successfully engage consumers and employees. Sustainability leaders at leading businesses and organizations share their approaches to sustainability and citizenship, with examples of their latest initiatives and their projections for the near future. Action on sustainability is essential to attracting and retaining top talent.
- Human rights are a growing priority and responsibility for business, and a crucial part of the future of sustainability. Human rights experts and advocates highlight the growing pressure on businesses from the UN (and peers that are early adopters) to strengthen human rights policies and increase disclosure and assessments. Collaboration with human rights experts, and a proactive stance on newer human rights issues will help businesses achieve real impact.
According to Pascal Beucler, SVP and Global Chief Strategy Officer, MSLGROUP, the shift to sustainable business is unstoppable: “Sustainability has become one of top-most priorities for businesses today. Businesses are now increasingly eager to find more ways to add value to their triple bottom line. One could say that there’s a collective desire to be socially and environmentally responsible in how businesses are conducted. Material sourcing and climate change realities are only pushing brands to introspect new ways to operate, and the upcoming COP21 Climate Change Conference in Paris is going to significantly accelerate the movement.”
“Considering the fact that Millennials in both China and India have seen first hand the impact of human activity on their local environments, it is no surprise that they feel WORRIED, ANXIOUS and SAD about climate change. Millennials sense an urgent need to address the global issue, where Chinese and Indian businesses should seize the opportunity, engage concerned Millennials and involve them as active agents of change to make the difference that is desperately needed,” said Schubert Fernandes, Asia Practice Leader for Corporate & Brand Citizenship at MSLGROUP.
The Tipping Point for Sustainable Business and BeTheChance.com are part of MSLGROUP’s global initiatives to give Millennials a voice on the issue of climate change. These efforts culminate at an event of the same name, Chance for Change, which takes place in Paris during COP21. The event will bring together business leaders and inspiring Millennials and will explore how the millennial generation can lead the response to climate change.
For more information, follow our hashtag #BeTheChance on Twitter.
Read the publication at bit.ly/ChanceforChange
# # #
About MSLGROUP in India
MSLGROUP is India’s leading strategic communications and engagement company. We are trusted advisors and storytellers for the conversation age to 200+ clients, offering integrated communications services, through five distinct brands: MSLGROUP, 20:20 MSL, MSLGROUP SOCIAL HIVE, MSLGROUP CREATIVE+ and PUBLICIS CONSULTANTS and CNC MSLGROUP. MSLGROUP in India, combined, includes 10 offices in 8 key cities, 450+ professionals and an activation network reaching an additional 125 Indian
cities. Our extensive network, backed by our expertise, covers 8 specialty practice areas. Our thorough understanding of these areas, has translated into a proven track record of helping our clients engage with their audiences, 24x7.
About MSLGROUP in Asia
For 26 years, MSLGROUP has counselled global, regional and local clients in Asia, helping them establish, protect and expand their businesses and brands across this fast-growing region. Today, communications and engagement consultancy MSLGROUP has the largest PR, social media and events teams in Greater China (12 offices and 700+ professionals) and India (14 offices and 550+ professionals) and is actively working to lead the development of the industry with regular publication of whitepapers/reports and innovative Learning & People Development programs to nurture talent. MSLGROUP in Asia includes 32 owned offices and over 1,500 colleagues in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Hong Kong, Macau, Taipei, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Singapore, Mumbai, Delhi, Ahmedabad, Pune, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and Kolkata. An activation network of colleagues reaches an additional 125 Indian and 100 Chinese cities and a strong affiliate partner network adds another 18 markets to our reach. MSLGROUP in Asia is widely recognized as an industry leader and was awarded PR Agency Network of the Year for two consecutive years in 2012 and 2013 by Campaign Asia, Asia Pacific Consultancy of the Year 2013 and Asia Pacific Digital Consultancy of the Year 2015 by the Holmes Report.
The MSLGROUP teams in Asia have also been recognized as leaders by multiple industry groups, including The Holmes Report’s China Consultancy of the Year (MSLGROUP China, 2012 & 2009), PR Agency of the Year by PRCA in India (2011), recognition as a top Event Agency at Marketing Magazine’s Agency of the Year for four consecutive years (Luminous Experiential MSLGROUP), Forbes China’s Innovative China SMEs (Genedigi MSLGROUP, 2012), Top PR Agency of the Year by CIPRA (Genedigi MSLGROUP, 2012), Taiwan Advertiser Association’s ‘Agency of the Year in Taiwan (2011). The teams have won more than 65 awards in the last two years.
MSLGROUP is Publicis Groupe’s strategic communications and engagement group, advisors in all aspects of communication strategy: from consumer PR to financial communications, from public affairs to reputation management and from crisis communications to experiential marketing and events. With more than 3,000 people across close to 100 offices worldwide, MSLGROUP is also the largest PR network in Europe, fast-growing China and India. The group offers strategic planning and counsel, insight-guided thinking and big, compelling ideas – followed by thorough execution.
www.mslgroup.com | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | YouTube | Slideshare | Pinterest
About Publicis Groupe
Publicis Groupe [Euronext Paris FR0000130577, CAC 40] is a global leader in marketing, communication, and business transformation. In a world marked by increased convergence and consumer empowerment, Publicis Groupe offers a full range of services and skills: digital, technology & consulting with Publicis.Sapient (SapientNitro, Sapient Global Markets, Sapient Government Services, Razorfish Global, DigitasLBi, Rosetta) - the world’s largest most forward-thinking digitally centered platform focused exclusively on digital transformation in an always-on world - as well as creative networks such as BBH, Leo Burnett, Publicis Worldwide, Saatchi & Saatchi, public affairs, corporate communications and events with MSLGROUP, ad tech solutions with VivaKi, media strategy, planning and buying through Starcom MediaVest Group and ZenithOptimedia, healthcare communications, with Publicis Healthcare Communications Group (PHCG), and finally, brand asset production with Prodigious. Present in 108 countries, the Groupe employs more than 76,000 professionals.
www.publicisgroupe.com | Twitter: @PublicisGroupe | Facebook: www.facebook.com/publicisgroupe | LinkedIn: Publicis Groupe | http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicisGroupe | Viva la Difference