Lonely Planet Magazine India presents the Travel Awards 2013
India’s favourite travel magazinebrings you the Lonely Planet Magazine India Travel Awards 2013, showcasing the experiences most loved by the Indian traveller.
For the second year running, Lonely Planet Magazine Indiainvited the country’s increasingly sophisticated travellers to choose their favourite destinations, preferred travel facilitators and most treasured travel experiences. Nominations for some of the awards were shortlisted by a panel of travel experts and professionals, and LPMI readers voted both online and in the magazine.
Compered by ShibaniDandekar, former American television presenter and IPL anchor, the LPMI Travel Awards 2013, held on Friday, June 7, 2013, at the ITC Grand Central, Parel, Mumbai, felicitated 43 of India’s favourite experiences. The winners were joined by the who’s who of the national travel industry, several international invitees and celebrities like John Abraham, Soha Ali Khan, KunalKhemu, DiaMirza, Neil NitinMukesh,NargisFakhri,SonaliBendre, ZebaKohli, Queenie Singh, Sharman Joshi, Aditya Roy Kapoor, PurabKohli, TussharKapoor,AditiRaoHydari and Sophie Chaudharywho enjoy the experience of travel.
VardhanKondvikar, Editor of Lonely Planet Magazine India,said, “The second edition of the Lonely Planet Magazine India Travel Awards reaffirms the commitment of the magazine to pointing Indian travellers to the best experiences and holidays they can find. Many of our winners are repeats from last year, demonstrating the discerning nature of our readers, and rewarding travel experiences that offer consistent quality. This year, the awards are particularly relevant, as the nominations were provided by an expert panel of travel facilitators, who know exactly what Indian travellers are looking for. We believe that this format will continue to reward the best in travel, and offer great suggestions to travellers in years to come.”
Commenting on the Lonely Planet Magazine India Travel Awards 2013,TarunRai, CEO, Worldwide Media Ltd, said, “The Indian traveller is getting more adventurous and is experimenting with newer experiences. He is also becoming more discerning and demanding. And the travel industry has risen to meet the demands of this traveller. We are very happy to get the travel and tourism industry together to felicitate their efforts. The Lonely Planet Magazine IndiaTravel Awards, like the magazine, have established a new benchmark in recognising the industry’s efforts. Our readers have voted in large numbers, across more than 40 categories, to celebrate the best in travel.”
The winners are:
- India’s Favourite Destination – Australia
- Best Emerging Destination – Ireland (International), Gujarat (Indian)
- Best Destination for Culture – Italy (International), Rajasthan (Indian)
- Best Destination for Adventure – New Zealand (International), Uttarakhand (Indian)
- Best Destination for Wildlife – South Africa (International), Madhya Pradesh (Indian)
- Best Destination for Families – Switzerland (International), Kerala (Indian)
- Best Value Destination – Thailand (International), Goa (Indian)
- Best Destination for Food & Drink – Malaysia (International), New Delhi (Indian)
- Best Destination for Relaxation – Bali (International), Kerala (Indian)
- Best Destination for Shopping – Singapore (International), Mumbai (Indian)
- Best Destination for Romance – France (International), Jammu & Kashmir (Indian)
- Best Airline: Economy – Singapore Airlines (International), IndiGo (Indian)
- Best Airline: Business/ First-class – Emirates (International), Jet Airways (Indian)
- Best Wildlife Resort – Governors’ Camp Masai Mara, Kenya (International), The OberoiVanyavilas, Ranthambore (Indian)
- Best Hotel for Relaxation – Banyan Tree Ungasan, Bali (International), The LeelaKovalam, Kerala (Indian)
- Best Business Hotel – The Ritz-Carlton Millenia, Singapore (International), JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai (Indian)
- Best Value Hotel – Amari Watergate Bangkok (International), Ginger Hotels (Indian)
- Best Heritage Hotel – Four Seasons Istanbul at Sultanahmet (International), Devi Garh, Udaipur (Indian)
- Best Luxury Hotel – The Beau-Rivage Palace, Lausanne, Switzerland (International), The OberoiUdaivilas, Udaipur (Indian)
- Best Hotel for Romance – Chateau de la Chevre d’Or, Eze Village, France (International), Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur, Rajasthan (Indian)
- Best Homestay – Emerald Isle – The Heritage Villa, Allepey, Kerala
- Best Tour Operator – Thomas Cook
- Best Travel Portal – Makemytrip.com
About Lonely Planet Magazine India
Lonely Planet is the world’s most recognised and trusted travel brand, having helped travellers find their way since 1973. Bought over by BBC Worldwide in 2007, it was launched as a magazine in the UK in 2008, and subsequently in India in 2010. In the three years since its February 2010 launch, Lonely Planet Magazine India has become India’s favourite travel magazine, as rated recently by TripAdvisor, and the best recognised name in the travel literature sphere. Lonely Planet Magazine India has proven to be an invaluable aid to those planning their holiday, both in India and abroad. With sections like Easy Trips (weekend trips in India and short-haul international destinations), Mini Guides (free, handy tear-out guides to various destinations) and the signature Features section, LonelyPlanet Magazine India has brought a level of practicality and insight never before seen in the country.