~ Highlights: Top talent, the return of major franchises
& brand new stories ~
Mumbai, December 23, 2015 - Sony Pictures India announced a bigger and better 2016 slate with a block-buster, exciting and diverse line-up driven by big star-led films (Will Smith, George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Chris Pratt, Denzel Washington, Tom Hanks, Irrfan Khan); films with original story concepts like Money Monster, The Shallows, The Magnificent Seven,Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk and the return of blockbuster franchises like Ghostbusters, the Dan Brown stories (Inferno) and Underworld. Indian audiences are in for a treat.
The 2016 line-up :
· Chalk ‘N’ Duster (Hindi) – a thought-provoking social drama starring Shabana Azmi and Juhi Chawla
· The 5th Wave – a large scale visual effects film based on the popular books for young adults
· Spotlight – #1 on Time magazine’s top 10 movies of the year, this Golden Globe-nominated film is based on a true story of Pulitzer prize-winning investigative journalism
· Concussion - a film based on a true story starring Will Smith in a Golden Globe-nominated role
· Miracles from Heaven – the real-life story of young girl who has a unique medical condition, starring Jennifer Garner
· Money Monster - a thriller directed by Jodie Foster with a stellar cast led by George Clooney and Julia Roberts
· The Angry Birds movie – a 3D animated movie based on the popular game
· The Shallows - a thriller starring Blake Lively
· Ghostbusters (3D) – a reboot of the popular Ghostbusters franchise
· Patient Zero - a zombie thriller starring Natalie Dormer of Game of Thrones fame
· The Magnificent Seven – an action adventure directed by Antoine Fuqua with a stellar cast including Vincent D’Onofrio, Chris Pratt, Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke
· Inferno (IMAX) - the new Robert Langdon thriller based on the book by Dan Brown, directed by Oscar-winning director Ron Howard and starring Tom Hanks; featuring Indian actor Irrfan Khan in an important role
· Underworld 5 (3D) - fifth installment of the vampire-werewolf franchise which expands the existing universe
· Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (3D) - an infantryman recounts the final hours before he and his fellow soldiers return to Iraq; starring Vin Diesel and directed by Ang Lee in the ultra-high frame rate of 120 frames per second
· Passengers – A sci-fi adventure starring Hollywood’s hottest talent, Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence
Vivek Krishnani, Managing Director of Sony Pictures India said, “After closing 2015 on a high with The Walk, Hotel Transylvania 2 and Spectre which are still continuing in theatres, we have a wonderfully varied line-up of films in the coming year. Sony Pictures is committed to working with top talent across the world and this line-up should find a strong resonance in India - we are sure we have something for every taste. With the strong Hollywood line-up and an added local release slate which we will be announcing as we move further, we will be upping the entertainment quotient for Indian audiences,” he said.
2017 continues in the same vein with more new films with franchise potential (The Dark Tower, Uncharted), established franchises (Bad Boys 3, Resident Evil 6, Barbie, an animatedSmurfs movie, the next Spider-Man film, The Equalizer 2), and original films such as Baby Driver and The Lamb.
ABOUT SONY PICTURES INDIA ( www.sonypictures.in | www.twitter.com/sonypicsindia |www.facebook.com/
sonypicturesofindia | www.youtube.com/ sonypicturesindia )
Sony Pictures India is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company. Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment Inc., a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE’s global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies. For additional information, go tohttp://www.sonypictures.com.